It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Live 1/2 NL @ MGM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:56 pm 
PSO Elite
PSO Elite

I think I know the answer but I wanted to get some feedback on this hand that I played live a few days ago.

Table dynamics: Lots of regulars, mostly small pots, MGM in the daytime around noon. I have been pretty card dead for the last 1.5 hours.

Folded to me in the CO with KK and I open to $10 and get a call and a speech by the old nitty regular who hasn't really done much but commented on me only playing a few hands, and the BB comes along. Effective stacks are $200.

FLOP: JJ9 rainbow and the BB checks to me and I CB $20 into $30 and the button calls and the BB folds.

TURN: Blank Deuce. I check here hoping to control the pot and call a medium sized bet. He insta-shoves his stack in of around $170 into a $70 pot.

Whats my play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:19 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

This is totally read dependent. If you think the guy is the sort of player that would try to get value from his jack or 99, then call.

From your "speech" hint I gather he had AA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:56 pm 
PSO Elite
PSO Elite

Thanks for the reply Duggle...Ill wait for a few more before spilling the results.

EDIT: Time to edit your signature as well :( RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:05 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

wtf people do this LIVE? I thought this was only a online phenomenon. I have no idea.. I think I'd have to snap call and kick myself later. Especially if i've been cold decked for 2 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:28 pm 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

definately read dependant.

i think it's a fold, with the info provided. i didn't'see much that indicated that KK would be good here, like a particular history of his button play or aggressive tendancies. i'm inclined to think he's put's you on a big pair and is "putting you to the test" with it, thinking you'll call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:27 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

how is he putting him on a big pair? because he raised the standard amount pre and then continuation bet the flop? He could have ANYTHING here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:46 am 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

JL514 wrote:
because he raised the standard amount pre and then continuation bet the flop?

my read wasn't based so much on the standard bet preflop but the call HU, and not so much about the continuation bet, but the call of $20 into $30.

i thought he put him on a big pair because i think it looks like he wants a call. the only hand i figure he could have that he wouldn't want a call with here is TQ, which based on the info that he is a nit and knows RR is playing tight preflop, it is unlikely he would be playing TQ or a lone 9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:36 am 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

From all you said and what he said to ya...

my mind would say fold but that would be after my body pushed all my chips in and kicked myself and pulled out 200 more bucks after he flops something stupid over like QJ just trying to bust ya... then started ordering drinks...

I also agree with Duggle's

If you think the guy is the sort of player that would try to get value from his jack or 99, then call.

then again he could be just putting you on AK or something like that... but either way drinks would be ordered... preferably doubles... :shot:

To sum it up:
Safe play would be fold and just catch him later...

but you dont play this game to be safe... you are a poker player who likes to gamble especially being in Vegas... so i would call...

Last edited by kdr246 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 am 
PSO Ultimate
PSO Ultimate

I'd fold and say he had the jack. It's either that and he figured you wouldn't fold the big pair he knew you had, or he had nothing and knew the J/J on the board would/could scare you off your big pair so he shoved with nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:57 am 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

kdr246 wrote:

If you think the guy is the sort of player that would try to get value from his jack or 99, then call.

if he gets an overpair to call here even once in awhile, he isn't losing value, is he? that's a question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:03 am 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

MM would most likely fold here :shot:
MM thinks he's got AJ or KJ :shock:
KK runs into AA :punch:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:42 am 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

When2 wrote:
kdr246 wrote:

if he gets an overpair to call here even once in awhile, he isn't losing value, is he? that's a question.

Yeah, but he is also playing based on the fact that river hasnt played many hands... so why push? I think it was just a i want to see if you have a hand move...

River have you played any other hands with this guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 am 
PSO Elite
PSO Elite

I had not played any significant hands in raised pots. I took down a couple limped pots and he took down a few as well. This guy who the dealers knew by name was making the same comments about my tight play to two others at the table as well, even though one seemed to be splashing around quite a bit.

Quite a bit of discussion on both sides of the fence. I will let this go on till tonight and post what I did and why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:04 am 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

kdr246 wrote:

Yeah, but he is also playing based on the fact that river hasnt played many hands... so why push? I think it was just a i want to see if you have a hand move...

because RR wasnt playing many hands is why i think he did it. this may not apply to RR, but i think people who play tight preflop are, in general, more likely to marry their big pocket pairs than those who play loose preflop.

later, RR will post the result, op will have 66 and i'll look like a sucker. can't wait. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:17 am 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

When2 wrote:

later, RR will post the result, op will have 66 and i'll look like a sucker. can't wait. :roll:

op will have 52o and i'll have to grab my paper bag :oops: