All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How did I play these?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:44 pm 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

Two hands with pocket threes:

Hand 1: http://www.pokerhand.org/?4128634
Hand 2: http://www.pokerhand.org/?4128651

Let's get some discussion going and then I'll post the results. mnats was playing super lag with a VPIP of 95% and drawing out on everyone. These two hands happened close together after about a hour of play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:31 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

First hand...

On the flop with the flush draw and some action already you want to be raising more than $6. A 4x raise would be much better with someone already calling the raise, say to $12 or $13 total. On the turn, the pot is already $42 when it gets to you and you have $17 left so you might as well just be shoving. I guess your call isn't that bad since you are getting it in on the river no matter what and you give a flush draw a chance to hit, but I don't think for $12 more they would be folding anyway.

Second hand...

With an UTG raise and then a reraise, you aren't deep enough to be calling for set value here. You should generally have effective stacks of at least 10x the bet amount ($60 for a $6 bet) in order to make calling for set value worthwhile. You hit a set 1:8 times and don't get paid off every time. Plus UTG raising is pretty strong and if he comes back over the top you have to fold.

Since you did call, on the flop you basically min raise, when there is a flush draw out there. With that many players in, and a $43 stack with $37 in the pot already, you should be going all in to push out any flush draws. If someone wants to call with a flush draw you should be taking away any odds that they have to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 pm 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

oh well, so much for the discussion.....probably because you can see the results in the pokerhand link....

Anyway, I wish I was full stacked in hand 1. I thought I was making a good play letting the donks draw to their flushes. I got unlucky I guess.

I hand 2, I think it was a pretty clear fold PF (like you said). But I was still steaming from hand 1 so I called......the flop is pretty ugly as well, since I'm losing to AA and KK but I'm ahead of AK (QQ & JJ likely fold with the flop action). Anyway, it's tough to fold a set on the flop. Luckily I was ahead, but got sucked out on again.

So, in summary, I think I got unlucky on hand 1, but I messed up in hand 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:41 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

That was my advice without looking at the results. I see that they are in the bottom though, and yeah, you definitely got unlucky in the first one. The second one was also unlucky, as the pre-flop call wasn't that huge of a mistake. Just avoid calling without set mining odds in the future, when there is action behind you still.

Unless a flop it 789 all one suit and you have bottom set, or if you are against a super nit who is betting a lot, I don't think folding a set is ever really going to be a +EV move.

Post subject: Re: How did I play these?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:32 pm 
PSO User

I don't like pocket threes. I would fold them PF often. Not always.