It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any Reviews for "Harrington on Hold'em"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 am 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

Any reviews out there on Harrington's Books?

I started my poker "schooling" by reading a couple of Sklansky's books. I enjoyed them and picked up allot of things that I would never have done on my own.

Then after playing for sometime I picked up a couple of Hellmuth's books and there wasn't anything in them that really opened my eye's to anything new. Maybe a refresher at best.

Still have Caro's Book of Poker Tells on the shelf collecting dust. I'm away at school right now and the only live table in town is 5/10LH or the odd 10/20LH game on the weekends. I enjoy the no limit games, so I tend to stay away. So that limits me to basically online play only. That's the excuse I've been telling myself for not reading Caro's Tells.

Anyway, as mentioned above, I'd be interested in some feedback regarding Harrington's books for my next possible read.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:51 am 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

Get them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:51 am 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

Simply put, its a must read book to start understanding tournament poker.

I started Caro's book of tells, thought it was awful.

Surprisingly I think my favourite book is the Full Tilt sponsored one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 am 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

actyper wrote:
Surprisingly I think my favourite book is the Full Tilt sponsored one.

Not sure what you mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:51 am 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

http://www.amazon.ca/Full-Tilt-Poker-St ... 881&sr=8-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:10 am 
PSO Silver
PSO Silver

I have about 20 holdem books on my shelf that I have read. Harringtons are by far the best. His strategies are very interesting. His book 3 is a workbook that only goes problem after problem. It is a great tool to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:35 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

I have a library of over 60 poker books.

My favorite poker book ever is Ace on the River by Greenstein.

Poker Nation is also very good.

(looks @ shelves)

Other highly reccomended reads:
Phil Gordon's Blue + Green books
Scott Fischman's Online Ace

Fischman's Online Ace is totally worth reading for the Sit n Go chapter alone. I have reccomended this read to several people, all of which went on to do much better in Sit N Gos then they did previously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:30 pm 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

raiders99 wrote:
Harringtons are by far the best. His strategies are very interesting. His book 3 is a workbook that only goes problem after problem. It is a great tool to use.

Been reading a lot the last 8-9 days. Ordered, received and digested: Harrington's Vol. 1 along with Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta, and Matt Flynn's "Profession No-Limit Hold'em Vol. 1".

I agree with raiders99. Some interesting strategies. Very good book regarding no-limit tourney and I think a lot of it applies to ring games. Looking forward to picking up Vol. 2 & 3.

Regarding Ed Miller and company's book... loved it. I have to admit, at first I wasn't so sure. So I dropped down a level at the tables to give his strategy an honest effort, and the concepts in the book are real is starting to come together and sink-in. I really find myself planning my hands around the effective chip stacks at the tables, which in turn, makes the decisions at the table much easier. I would recommend this book to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:38 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

KrazyOneX wrote:
Fischman's Online Ace is totally worth reading for the Sit n Go chapter alone. I have reccomended this read to several people, all of which went on to do much better in Sit N Gos then they did previously.

how many pages is the SNG chapter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:59 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

moneymate wrote:
KrazyOneX wrote:

how many pages is the SNG chapter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:15 pm 
PSO User

I read the harrington books but didn't really come to appreciate them mostly because the pages are filled with examples of hands which I did not like to read.

Besides, reading all the books about poker won't do much for your game cause poker which you'll soon come to discover is like 70% mentality(most players mistaken it as luck) and the rest goes into the technical aspect.

These days people read a few books and think they are so pro, they get a few bad beats and start calling players donks and other names and ignore the mental aspect of the game and when they go tilt they become clueless as to what went wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:37 pm 
PSO Gold
PSO Gold

If you have a strong understanding the the basic fundamentals, skip the first book but the second is a great book if you are getting into tournament poker. It was a great read in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:27 am 
PSO User

The Harrington books are essential reading. There are usually a few copies available on fleabay, but even at full price these books will soon pay for themselves. Worth reading through several times to fully appreciate them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:38 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

ChipExcess27 wrote:
I read the harrington books but didn't really come to appreciate them mostly because the pages are filled with examples of hands which I did not like to read.

Besides, reading all the books about poker won't do much for your game cause poker which you'll soon come to discover is like 70% mentality(most players mistaken it as luck) and the rest goes into the technical aspect.

These days people read a few books and think they are so pro, they get a few bad beats and start calling players donks and other names and ignore the mental aspect of the game and when they go tilt they become clueless as to what went wrong.

Making much at the tables?

:rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:28 pm 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

Hontis wrote:
ChipExcess27 wrote:

Making much at the tables?

:rofl:

Don't tap the aquarium.