It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Full and Half Bet Rules
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:07 pm 
PSO User

Please can someone give me a SIMPLE but comprehensive explanation (or direct me where to get one) of the half and full bet rules.

Everywhere I look I am only able to find the same generic explanation which misses some of the intricacies, please see below.

‘If a player goes all in with a raise rather than a call, another special rule comes into play. There are two options in common use here: pot limit and no limit games always use what is called the full bet rule, while fixed limit or spread limit games use either the full bet rule or the half bet rule. The full bet rule states that if the amount of an all in raise does not equal the full amount of the previous raise, it does not constitute a "real" raise, and therefore does not reopen the betting action. The half bet rule states that if an all in raise is equal to or larger than half the bet being raised, it does constitute a raise and reopens the action.

For example, a player opens the betting round for $20, and the next player has a total stake of $25. He may raise to $25, declaring himself all in, but this does not constitute a "real" raise, in the following sense: if a third player now calls the $25, and the first player's turn to act comes up, he must now call the additional $5, but he does not have the right to reraise further.

The all in player's pseudo-raise was really just a call with some extra money, and the third player's call was just a call, so the initial opener's bet was simply called by both remaining players, closing the betting round (even though he must still equalize the money by putting in the additional $5). If the half bet rule were being used, and the all
in player had raised to $30 instead of $25,then that raise would count as a genuine raise and the first player would be entitled to reraise if he chose to (this would create a side pot for the amount of his reraise and the third player's call, if any).’

I just can’t seem to get my head around it……… HELP!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:49 pm 
PSO Gold
PSO Gold

It's like the infield fly rule - seems simple enough, then you think about it and you get a little cross-eyed.

Basically, under normal circumstances, if you want to raise the person who bet out, your raise must equal their bet/raise. So if someone bets or raises $10.00, you can't raise $5.00. you can raise 10 to your whole stack. If you call, the original raiser doesn't get a chance to bet again until the next card is out, so if they didn't raise enough to knock you off a draw, that's their problem.

You can't prevent someone from going all in, though, even if they don't have enough to make a legitimate raise. So, in your scenario, all they could do is raise another $5.00, even though the rule is that you have to raise another $20.00. They can put the $5.00 out, but it is not a raise. The bet becomes $25.00, though and everyone has to match that to stay in the hand. Later betters can still raise if they want, and the dealer will have to make a sidepot. If the original better was thinking, "if anyone comes over the top of this bet, I'm shoving it all in", then he's out of luck, because there was no raise.

The half bet rule and the full bet rule are the same thing, but with different amounts constituting the raise. In your scenario, if the all in had exactly $40.00 and push it it all in, that would be a $20.00 raise and anything less would not be a raise. With the half bet rule, it's a raise if it is half a bet, or $10.00, so if he had $30.00 and that rule was in effect, then he could raise.

The strategy beyond the rules, if there is one, is that you should know what your opponent's stack size is, and you should bet accordingly. Don't bet $20.00 into a $25.00 stack expecting them to raise the additional $5.00 so you can come over the top. Either put them all in with a big enough bet to isolate them or make a bet that is small enough so that when they go all in, it constitutes a raise, and you can come over the top and maybe shove out the other players at the table or build a large side pot, or whatever you are trying to accomplish there.

FWIW, one of the home games I play at totally ignores the raising rule altogether, and I have seen people raise one dollar into a $12.00 bet. WTF. Seriously. :roll:

Post subject: Full and Half Bet Rules
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:46 pm 
PSO User

Ok, for example… the blinds are $50/$100

SB pays their $50, I am BB and pay my $100, all players fold around to seat 5 who makes a raise of $450.

All players fold round to the SB who raises to $575

Now here are the questions….

Do I, being the BB position and having not actually acted on the hand, have the ability to call and raise to a minimum of $675 or can I only complete the bet?

If I am able to call and raise, I assume that this open up the possibility of re-raising for the player in seat 5?

If I am only able to complete the bet, does this open up the possibility of re-raising for the player in seat 5?

Post subject: Re: Full and Half Bet Rules
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:37 pm 
PSO Extreme
PSO Extreme

costashark wrote:

SB pays their $50, I am BB and pay my $100, all players fold around to seat 5 who makes a raise of $450.

Do I, being the BB position and having not actually acted on the hand, have the ability to call and raise to a minimum of $675 or can I only complete the bet?

If I am able to call and raise, I assume that this open up the possibility of re-raising for the player in seat 5?

If I am only able to complete the bet, does this open up the possibility of re-raising for the player in seat 5?

Ok I'm not 100% sure but this is my take:

Player A posts 50
Player B posts 100
Player C raises to 450
Player A goes all in for total of 575

If you just call the extra 475 to you, the original raiser is not able to reraise, he can only call the extra 125 because it is not considered a full raise.

The original raise was from 100 to 450, so you'd need to raise to at least 800. (That's the part I'm unsure of. Its either 800 or 925 you'd have to raise to. You can't just raise the 125 that SB put over the button.)

That sound right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:55 pm 
PSO Gold
PSO Gold

scottwire wrote:

Ok I'm not 100% sure but this is my take:

Player A posts 50
Player B posts 100
Player C raises to 450
Player A goes all in for total of 575

If you just call the extra 475 to you, the original raiser is not able to reraise, he can only call the extra 125 because it is not considered a full raise.

The original raise was from 100 to 450, so you'd need to raise to at least 800. (That's the part I'm unsure of. Its either 800 or 925 you'd have to raise to. You can't just raise the 125 that SB put over the button.)

That sound right?

Sounds right. The raise was a $350 raise. The all in was only 125 more, so it was not even half of the raise amount - it does not count as a reraise. The next raise would have to be a minimum of a $350 raise. To make the 350 raise, you would have to put in, I believe, 575 to complete, plus 350 more for the raise, or 925. That's where it gets sketchy - you don't raise 350 from the original 450 (to 800) because you have to add your raise to whatever it would take to complete the bet. It's just that the additional 125 in the pot from the all in does not count as an official raise.

If you just completed, Player C would only be allowed to fold or complete, not to raise.

Anyway, I think that's how it would play out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:00 am 
PSO Silver
PSO Silver

costashark wrote:

If you are the SB/BB, you have not acted in which case you have the ability to make a full raise regardless as you are not considered to have acted.

If you were to raise from the BB, it would need to be a $575 raise as that is the current bet, which means your minimum bet is $1050.

The half bet rule doesn't apply to No Limit.

The half bet rule just means that if you are facing less than half a bet and you have already acted, you can only call or complete.

So say the blinds are 50/100 as in your example, if the SB has gone all in for 40 (making the current bet 140), you could call the 40 or complete for 60.

If you complete, people following you then have the option to raise 100.

If you call, people following you have the option to call or complete.

This is only for limit though.