It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: slow play bites me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:43 pm 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

***** Hand History for Game 902456868 *****
100/200 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 5582019) - Wed Sep 01 12:47:45 EDT 2004
Table Table 11508 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: bulbazaurus6 (1060)
Seat 3: IttoOgami (775)
Seat 4: LittleSherbs (2240)
Seat 8: buckman45 (520)
Seat 10: usmfan1 (3405)
buckman45 posts small blind (50)
usmfan1 posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to usmfan1 [ 5s, 9c ]
bulbazaurus6 folds.
IttoOgami folds.
LittleSherbs calls (100)
buckman45 calls (50)
usmfan1 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5h, Qs, 5c ]
buckman45 checks.
usmfan1 bets (100)
LittleSherbs raises (250) to 250
buckman45 folds.
usmfan1 calls (150)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Th ]
usmfan1 bets (500)
LittleSherbs raises (1000) to 1000
usmfan1 raises (2555) to 3055
usmfan1 is all-In.
LittleSherbs calls (890)
LittleSherbs is all-In.
** Dealing River ** : [ Qc ]
Creating Main Pot with $4580 with LittleSherbs
Creating Side Pot 1 with $1165 with usmfan1
** Summary **
Main Pot: 4580 | Side Pot 1: 1165
Board: [ 5h Qs 5c Th Qc ]
bulbazaurus6 balance 1060, didn't bet (folded)
IttoOgami balance 775, didn't bet (folded)
LittleSherbs balance 4580, bet 2240, collected 4580, net +2340 [ Qd Td ] [ a full house, Queens full of tens -- Qd,Qs,Qc,Td,Th ]
buckman45 balance 420, lost 100 (folded)
usmfan1 balance 1165, bet 3405, collected 1165, lost -2240 [ 5s 9c ] [ a full house, Fives full of queens -- Qs,Qc,5s,5h,5c ]

I was crippled after this and ended up going out a few hands later when JJ was cracked by A4s. Should I have bet more at the turn or was this runner runner just a bad beat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:04 pm 
PSO Elite
PSO Elite

Betting more at the turn probably wouldn't have accomplished anything since he made top two pair there. And he probably was thinking that you had a Qx only, cuz of the betting after the flop. Yeah, it was an unfortunate set of cards but that's poker.

I think the only other play would have been to re-raise him after the flop. Then, he would have suspected that you either had a 5 or that you had Q with a high kicker and might fold to you at that point.

But, that's the gamble you take when slow playing. It gives the other guy a chance to make his hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:19 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

One of the points to slow playing a hand is to let the other players catch up a little. Sometimes they catch up a little more than we intend. :wink:

I really don't slow play a multi-way pot very much anymore, unless I flop a full house or better. Someone will catch up and pass you if you slow play trips. There's that hidden straight or runner runner flush just waiting to pound you.

I'm probably exagerrating, I probably slow played a flopped straight recently or something that I don't remember.

Especially with a hand like 59o. I figure if I get to keep my blind with a hand like that, I'm ahead. I usually will try to take the pot down right there if I can.

Plus, even when you go fast, the beauty of online poker is that some fish won't believe you and will call anyway. So you knock out at least some players, and get paid by the fishes, when they don't hit their miracles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:47 pm 
PSO Extreme
PSO Extreme

Re-raising on the flop would have indeed been the move to make, imo.

You shouldn't slow play a trips on the flop if the other card is over your trip. That's mostly because if the board pairs again, you'll end up with the sucker fullhouse.

You should seek occasions to slow play when it is likely someone will make a hand, but it will still be worst than yours. So if you had a Q, and the flop was Q5Q, then you can slowplay. Because even if your opponent has a pair of 5 in the hole, you have some outs (4 on the turn, 7 on the river).

Slowplaying is a very valuable move, and most people don't know why they should or shouldn't slowplay some hands. Usually you'll want to come out betting strong when you aren't that strong, but you still think you are better than the others. This was exactly the case. You should look for occasions to slowplay if people have nothing, and are drawing dead anyway, mostly if you think they are capable of bluffing.

Last edited by Dekar on Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:48 am 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

Dek,

Funny thing is I didn't learn that one until I started playing Omaha. It's interesting to me how you can get better at one game by playing some others. They change your perspective a little bit, and anytime you look at something differently than you have been looking at it for a long time is good, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:25 am 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

if you went all in on that turn he would have folded if he was a good player. I mean yeah he just picked up his two pair but you were on BB so he'd have to put you on that set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:52 pm 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

Thanks for the analysis. I think that the key flaw here was not betting more on the flop and pushing out the QQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:09 pm 
PSO Extreme
PSO Extreme

But then again, you could be against A5, or maybe K5, and would lose because of your kicker.

That was a very dangerous flop indeed. You have bottom trips with a bad kicker. You usually don't play these hands for a reason, so be extra careful when you get them on your blind. I remember losing a few tournaments to these kind of hands (78 on the blind, hit triips 8, lost to A8).

DuggleBogey,

I know what you mean. You get to see new angles of Texas when you get to play Omaha. It helped me a lot too.