It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: did i miss play?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 pm 
PSO User

ok here goes, this was early in a 30$ buy in tourny i had already about trippled up my stack and this hand was against a decent sized stack a little more then 3/4 my stack.

this guy had raised close to 1/3 of his hands pre flop
blinds 100/200
my chip stack around 6k

im sitting BB it folds around to him he raises to 550, folds around to be and i called with A5 off.

flop - A 2 4 i bet out 500 he calls
turn - A i check he bets out 800 i push all in he calls instantly
river - 8

he shows AK

its still bugging me was only 3 days ago i feel like i totaly miss played/over played my hand....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:01 am 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

Just bad luck, mostly.

But if you're going to play back at a player you feel is raising too much, try not to just call and float the guy. Pick a hand to play back at him and play it even stronger than he is. Especially if you are going to play something weak like an A5, you have to represent a big hand, basically trying to get him to fold. You're running a bluff, not calling and trying to catch. Calling with weak hands and trying to catch is the worst approach to an aggressive player, because that's how they make their money.

That said if you had pushed A5 he would have called and you would have lost anyway, so like I said, just bad luck.

But the answer to aggressive play is to get more aggressive against him, not more passive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:40 pm 
PSO User

to be honest you do make a couple of errors the initial mistake is calling with A5 off when you only have 30 BBs secondly when hes in the pot and not budgging you have to think what hand could you beat he either has the straight or an ace or pocket 44s or 22s none of these hands you can beat because of your kicker so you needed to be more cautious all ways think what can you beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:16 am 
PSO User

fold preflop. 5 kicker on an ace will only get you into trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:06 am 
PSO User

looks to me as if you were playing your own hand and not even thinking what he had, if he did have the ace (going by his bet pre flop), and you had of picked up on that would you have went all in with a 5 kicker??

i would have been out of that hand before it even started, maybe thats were it went wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:16 pm 
PSO User

I would have folded this hand, because you had enough chips and you could wait for better spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:33 pm 
PSO User

DuggleBogey wrote:
Just bad luck, mostly.

But if you're going to play back at a player you feel is raising too much, try not to just call and float the guy. Pick a hand to play back at him and play it even stronger than he is. Especially if you are going to play something weak like an A5, you have to represent a big hand, basically trying to get him to fold. You're running a bluff, not calling and trying to catch. Calling with weak hands and trying to catch is the worst approach to an aggressive player, because that's how they make their money.

That said if you had pushed A5 he would have called and you would have lost anyway, so like I said, just bad luck.

But the answer to aggressive play is to get more aggressive against him, not more passive.

I have to agree be more aggrsevice against this player, but pick a better hand. I would have folded A-5o, but played A-5s in that situation and stick with a fit or fold strategy on the flop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 pm 
PSO User

I really dont think that you missplayed.
You must learn that you will lose some money even when you play close to perfect. the importance is that your winnings are more than your losses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:28 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

SWVBulldog wrote:
DuggleBogey wrote:
Just bad luck, mostly.

I have to agree be more aggrsevice against this player, but pick a better hand. I would have folded A-5o, but played A-5s in that situation and stick with a fit or fold strategy on the flop.

It being suited or not should not impact your decision in this spot due to the tiny difference in win percentages between A5o and A5s against his perceived range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:10 pm 
PSO Gold
PSO Gold

Kugs,

There is a differnece ina A-5 off and A-5 suited, it's not all about showdown value..

but at 30bb's or so... I think this is a fold...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:45 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

onemanblitz wrote:
Kugs,

There is a differnece ina A-5 off and A-5 suited, it's not all about showdown value..

but at 30bb's or so... I think this is a fold...

If you are considering his range to be 66+ and A6+ then A5o or A5s has virtually the same value. If you are calling A5s and folding A5o then that's a leak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm 
PSO Gold
PSO Gold

Hey Kugr,

What I was trying to say is if they are a bit deeper I might consider calling A-5 suited but not A-5O

I know the showdown value's are only a couple of percentage points apart. But, when a bit deeper, you might want to throw in a few more calling hands to balance ranges. A-5suited is easier to add IMO just cause it's a bit simpler to play post flop. No, I did not say I was drawing to a flush preflop LOL... Just saying I will throw in Ace rag suited in my defending range at times, but never with such shallow stacks.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:57 pm 
PSO Gold
PSO Gold

all that being said, could be a leak....

just throw in the huge leak pile...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:58 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

DuggleBogey wrote:
Just bad luck, mostly.

Well said, especially the part about trying to play back at a LAGGRO by flat calling. You are playing right into his hands. He will outplay you postflop, ad worse yet, you have NO IDEA what hand he has, while he has a good idea what you have. A recipe for disaster.

:arrow: H