It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unbelievable hand, bad read on my part
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 am 
PSO User

Live game, 1/2 no limit, I'm in #9 seat, button on #3. My hole cards 8c Jc. Seat 6 calls, seat 8 raises to $6, I call, seat 1 calls, seat 3 calls, seat 6 calls.

Flop: 9c 5c 6c

Seat 6 checks, seat 8 checks, I check, seat 1 checks, seat 3 bets $5. Seat 6 calls, seat 8 calls, I raise to $20, seat 1 raises to $145 all-in. Seat 1 folds. After 2-3 minutes of thinking and muttering, seat 6 calls. Seat 8 folds, comes to me...

Guy in seat 1 has been throwing his chips in all night, often with poor hands, only one of them was decent and he was set over set on another guy, i put him on 7/8 off suit or at most 10/2 clubs. He liked to bully. Guy in seat 6 was a bit more cautious and careful, I had sucked out on a pot earlier on him when the board paired giving me a higher 2 pair with my pocket 6s.

I was certain I had the guy in seat 1 beat, my hope was that the guy in seat 6 was only holding a single club possibly the king or ace and drawing, but jittery handed, I decide to push $214 all-in. We couldn't all have flopped a flush could we?

Seat 6 being rather pot committed tosses in the remaining $74 to call me. On showdown we all flip:

I show 8c Jc
Seat 1 shows 7c 10c
Seat 6 shows Ac 2c

I'm drawing dead, seat 1 needs runner runner 3,4 clubs to win, doesn't happen and the guy in seat 6 takes down the $630+ pot.

I felt it was almost an impossible hand to throw away, until about an hour and a half later I realized where I really screwed up. The adrenaline flowing and the realization of how huge the pot was kinda clouded my thoughts briefly, because in the mutterings of the guy in seat 6 when he was trying to decide whether to call the $145 all in of the guy in seat one, I heard him say "but do you have THE nut flush?" at the time I heard that I thought he meant ace high flush.

It wasn't until later that I realized he didn't mean ace high flush, he was talking about the straight flush, and if that was his main concern, it should have tipped me off that he was probably holding the ace high flush and I should have folded.

If you omit the last part about the guy muttering, was folding the extremely obvious choice here or did I have enough reason to push all-in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:29 am 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

Hy

first of all .. respect.. you nearly red the guy in seat one perfectly.

If the guy in Seat 6 hadn´t called it would be an instand call.

But what did you think he had? he flopped neraly the nuts (noone would belive that the guy in first position directly moves allin if he floppes a straight flush.

So his 2-3 minuts thinking was only a show to demonstrade weakness.

if i were you i would have folded, because i 2 guys go allin on a flush board someone definitly have better one as a J flush.

hope u understand my english

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:53 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

J8s... fold preflop to a raise

You flop a flush and check it in MP? And then raise to like 1/4 of the pot? You are just begging to be sucked out on. You should be betting out here to defend your hand or if you want to be sneaky then check raise to at least the size of the pot to make people pay the wrong price to chase a flush draw. If you get reraised after a check raise you can be pretty sure you are in bad shape.

Where is this game at? I want to play :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:56 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

Troof.

I don't like your check on the flop here. If you flop a club flush with Jack high and slow play it, what do you do if another club hits the turn or the river? Your hand is worthless vs strong action then.

Bet your hands. It's also the only way you get paid by the Ac when the club doesn't hit. Why wait until you're beat to finally bet?

That said, this was just a cooler from the jump. If you think you should have gotten away from this, you probably need to quit playing. You have to be willing to lose your stack on hands like this if you want to play. It's part of the game. It's like pushing your kings against a super lag player and him having aces. It's gonna happen, you have to accept it as part of the game. If you're not willing to get coolered once in a while and not second guess yourself, I'd find another game.