It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Did I make a good play?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:32 am 
PSO User

So I was playing a cash game (.25/.50 NL) at a friend's house with about 9 people. I lucked up with a play early in the and scored a bad beat (Flopped top-pair of kings with K9 offsuit and we raised each other until I pushed all-in and he turned over AKs but didnt catch an ace or flush and I paired 9's on the river).

Anyway I was playing fairly tight and aggressive and folding most hands dealt to me. I finally caught a sweet pocket hand KK. I was about in middle position and I raised $2.50 on top of the blind (5xBB). I had 5 callers and we saw a flop K-9-5 all spades. I was both ecstatic and downtrodden at the same time. I hit the set but there was a flush possibility, so I simply check and the table checks around to the guy right behind the button who throws out $.50 and we all laugh but I took advantage of this ridiculous raise to throw another $2.50 on top of his $.50 since obviously nobody caught the spade flush and the entire table folds. I turn over my set and we play out the rest of the cards --- turn was the last King and river was a blank.

Should I have simply called the $.50 raise and let them see another cards before I raised or was this the best move I could have made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:19 pm 
PSO Poker God
PSO Poker God

I wouldn't necessarily assume that nobody had the flush. Often on an all one suit flop the best move with a low flush is to check and call any bet to see if another card of that suit comes out. With top set and that many players on the board you might want to take a similar approach and just call to see if another spade comes out.

Another tactic is to bet big to get out any flush draws, but then you run the risk of anybody who already has the flush raising you.

Basically the turn is going to be very important in how strong you gauge your hand to be, so you might not want to be too aggressive on the flop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:23 pm 
PSO User

You should just lead and bet that flop. If you flop middle or bottom set, and it's mutli-way, you have a better chance for a CR to work because someone can flop top pair or top two. However, with top set there's not much else someone is going to have, so you're just asking for people to draw out on you.

As played, if you are planning on CR, then at least don't give them odds to draw. You need to raise much larger, but we don't know what the stack sizes are since you didn't put them in the post.

Post subject: Re: Did I make a good play?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:10 pm 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

Bet on the flop and try to get better reads on your opponents.