It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Holiday Calendar: Deal a Day 4 Poker Story Contest
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:12 am 

PokerSource Calendar “Deal A Day in December”

Now thru December 24th PokerSource is offering a different deal a day. Click on today’s date to discover what’s inside & remember to check back for our biggest event on the 24th! For more details on the daily offer visit us on Facebook.com/PokerSource

Day 4 Deal:

Write your favorite poker story and win $75

PokerSource has been involved in poker for some time, and we've heard some crazy stories over the years. What’s your best poker-related story?

Write your favorite poker story, then post it in this thread, on our Facebook wall, or email to help@pokersource.com. Our only request is that it be a true story. The winning entry, determined by the staff at PokerSource, will receive $75 Gift Card of your choice from our points store!

All entries must be received before December 10th deadline!

Post subject: Re: Holiday Calendar: Deal a Day 4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:33 am 

Hi Folks

My story is not spectacular or crazy but is simply about how I first started playing. In autumn 2009 one of our friends discovered she had breast cancer. Obviously we were all concerned for her but being the tough woman she was she decided that she would fight it and decided to fund raise at the same time. A small group of husbands decided that we would hold a charity poker night with the entry fees going to the funds. None of us had ever really played before apart from the organizer. A more shambolic game of poker you would have difficulty finding but everyone had great fun aided by good food, plenty of drink and good company. I came second and being the competitive type set up another game determined to win this time. I knew there was a poker game on Facebook so I started practicing there. Before long with the aid of Google I discovered some free sites where I could win real money and sites like Poker Source with offers. Two years later I now play poker everyday and I am winning on average $800 a month. I am a member of several forums and play in several leagues. As I said not an amazing story but hopefully one people can relate to.

Cheers
Brian

Post subject: Re: Holiday Calendar: Deal a Day 4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 pm 

Hellboy42 wrote:
Hi Folks

My story is not spectacular or crazy but is simply about how I first started playing. In autumn 2009 one of our friends discovered she had breast cancer. Obviously we were all concerned for her but being the tough woman she was she decided that she would fight it and decided to fund raise at the same time. A small group of husbands decided that we would hold a charity poker night with the entry fees going to the funds. None of us had ever really played before apart from the organizer. A more shambolic game of poker you would have difficulty finding but everyone had great fun aided by good food, plenty of drink and good company. I came second and being the competitive type set up another game determined to win this time. I knew there was a poker game on Facebook so I started practicing there. Before long with the aid of Google I discovered some free sites where I could win real money and sites like Poker Source with offers. Two years later I now play poker everyday and I am winning on average $800 a month. I am a member of several forums and play in several leagues. As I said not an amazing story but hopefully one people can relate to.

Cheers
Brian

Thanks Brian for your story, we appreciate the time you took to submit the entry & wish you the best of luck!

Post subject: "Pruco"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 am 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

My story happened when I was playing poker for the second time in my life.

The first time I played poker had been some weeks before that. Some friends (who had already played poker a few times) had “invited themselves” to play poker in my house and, as I had nothing else to do that night, I accepted it and we played 5 Card Draw for some hours. I really loved the game and my friends enjoyed playing in my house, so, some weeks later, we decided to play again.

This time, we were 5 or 6 people, including some that had never played poker. This wasn’t really a big disadvantage, since the most experienced players had only played once the type of poker game we would play. Let me explain: one or two weeks before that day, two of my friends had played No Limit Texas Hold 'em for the first time and they liked it. So, for my surprise, they decided that we wouldn’t play 5 Card Draw, we would play Texas Hold 'em. Though it was a surprise for me, I was ok with that, since a big part of the fun that night would be drinking with my friends. We had bought a lot of beer and one friend had brought a different and stronger drink called Bacardi (a type of rum, I think).

Before we started, the “most experienced” players wrote the rules in a piece of paper and explained them to everybody. Nobody really knew the rules, so we just believed in whatever they were saying and we started playing.

It was really a mess. The more we drank, the more doubts arose about the rules. I remember some funny situations. There were some hands where the showdown was high card versus a “straight of 4 cards”. As ridiculous as it may seem, some of us didn’t know that a “straight of 4 cards” is worthless. In these situations, we believed in the “experienced players” and were convinced that a “straight of 4 cards” didn’t exist. But then, another doubt came in one of these showdowns: high card versus high card; both were aces, so which one would win? We didn’t know and one of the “experienced players” said that the suits mattered and that the ace of diamonds would win against any other ace. Although it is absurd, he had a reason to think like that. There is a very popular Brazilian card game called “truco”. In this game, the suits matter. A 4 of clubs, for example, worths more than all other 4s of the deck. A 7 of hearts worths more than a 7 of diamonds and both worth more than the black 7s. What I don’t know, even today, is how he was able to affirm that, in poker, diamonds worth more than any other suit. After all the discussion, we continued playing with this bizarre wrong rule.

Around 2 or 3 am, one of the “experienced players” started discussing with the other “experienced” one. One of them was saying that a flush (we used to say “flash”) defeats a full house, the other was saying the opposite. Ok, it was just a newbie discussion, but the interesting thing is that one of them decided to call a friend (it was 2 or 3 am and this friend used to live 240 km away from the city we were) to ask who was right. So, he woke up this friend (I don’t know how pissed he got) and this friend told him that a full house defeats a flush (in fact, I was agreeing with whatever they wanted, since I didn’t know the rules well and was getting drunk).

We kept drinking all night and eventually we found out that one player was cheating. He was stealing cards from the deck and sitting on them so that he could use them when it was convenient. I remember that I and some others were really pissed about this, especially because, after we found out, he started exposing cards on purpose when he was the dealer. He is a good guy, so I guess he was only being a jerk because of the alcohol.

Not long after that, we stopped playing. Our cheater friend would be the vice-champion of the night and, of course, no one wanted to pay him. As almost the whole game had been a confusion, we decided that no one would win or lose money that day.

Some days later, I met one of my friends close to where he works and he asked me: “Hey, when are we going to play “Pruco” again?” I asked him: “Pruco?” And then he said: “Yes, that game we were playing in your house. No one really knew the rules, but I’m quite sure that what we played was a mix between “truco” and poker”.

Today, we rarely play together. But, when we do, there is always a lot of alcohol and I still think that a good part of the fun is drinking (and getting drunk) with my friends. And, after playing “pruco” instead of poker, some of us decided to really learn the rules so that we can play poker the way it is supposed to be.

Post subject: Re: Holiday Calendar: Deal a Day 4 Poker Story Contest
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 am 

Good luck BASoares!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 am 
PSO Silver
PSO Silver

My wife and I were playing poker with my brother, a friend from work and his girlfriend. We were using the set of Nevada Jacks Skulls that I received as a promotion here at PokerSource. We were playing a not so serious game, where my wife likes to open up the chip case and give more chips to anyone who busts out, so they can keep playing. I was playing fairly loose and making a point to call with all suited cards I was delt. my wife was dealing and I took a peek at my hand which was AQ spades.
The flop came out 10s Jd 4s, and we bet. The turn was 5h, and the betting and subsequent folding meant that it was just my friend and I left in the hand. The river was Ks, hitting both the flush and straight draws. my friend bet a moderate bet of about half the pot. I went all in, and he picked up his cards and was in the middle of throwing them in the muck, when I peeked at my hand again, as if making sure I had what I though I had. He stopped in mid muck and called my bet as he had about double what I had. He had A Q as well, but only the straight.
His thought at first was that I was calling on suited cards and hit a crappy low card flush, but then when I double checked he figured I must have had a straight as well because I would not have had to check for a flush. The only reason for my peeking he thought was to ensure that I had the straight so he called expecting to split the pot. He was a bit annoyed to find out that I, as a relatively new poker player had made him call with a body language bluff. He had introduced me to both online poker and pokersource.
'Why would you need to check the flush? I would imagine when you got 4 spades on the flop, including the Ace, that you would know another spade and no pair on the board would mean you had the nut flush!' He said with a certain irritation in his voice.
We played for a few more hands while he continued to question my need to double check that I hit a flush draw. His girlfriend and my wife were putting out the possibility that I was not rechecking, but making him think that I was. My brother who was asking a lot of questions and appeared to be as he was - a poker novice, having never played hold'em before in his life. They were ready to concede that I had outsmarted him. My friend, however, was not.
He went as far as to say that if I HAD done it on purpose, it would have been one of the greatest body language tricks he had ever seen, but he still felt that I was really checking to see if I had hit my draw. The next hand appeared uneventful, with my wife, my friend, and my brother all seeing the flop. My wife believes that preflop betting is a formality and we should just ante up to see the flop. My brother was still asking my friend, the expert in the house, a lot of questions about hand ranks, how to read bluffs, etc. The flop was again two to a flush and two to a straight.
'Now to have a straight, I need five cards in order, but if they are all the same suit they would not need to be in order right?' He asked as he called my friend's bet.
My friend explained with a sigh how straights and flushes worked. He was shaking his head and shook it again when he noticed that my brother had a slightly larger stack than he did. How could a complete fish be ahead of the table shark. the turn was an off card, and my friend made a nice bet that was immediately called by my brother.
By this time my wife and my friend's girlfriend were the low stacks, because they were playing way too many hands and calling just about every preflop bet. I was ahead now thanks to checking my hand and getting my friend to double me up. The river came up 3 to a flush but not a card that would help the straight draw at all. a slight smile came over my friend.
'So I can not get that straight now because there is no way to get five in a row, but if I had say two diamonds, I would have gotten a flush right?' He asked as he made a small bet with a fake serious look on his face.
'Yes two diamonds would be a flush.' came the reply and my friend slid his stack over to go all in.
He turned over a pair of the highest card on the table, giving him the top three of a kind. My brother showed a flush, the flush that he had asked about twice during the hand. Again a new player was able to convince my friend that he was on a straight draw and then take his chips with a flush. My wife offered to give him more chips so he could keep playing, not only did he refuse, but he has not been over to play poker at my house ever again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:24 pm 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

My poker story is my "how I got started through PokerSource"

-------
Late April 2005, I was reading an article online on a backgammon site that happened to be about Daniel Negreanu. I was reading through it, and thinking, I remember seeing this guy on TV. So I go to his site, and look through his forums, and learn a bit more about the game, and I see somebody talking about PokerSourceOnline, how you could get $50 free at PartyPoker. I was a firm believer in 'it's too good to be true' , but signed up anyway , and started my poker career....

The $50 that I received snowballed through bonuses and promotions , I never once deposited my own funds, and by the next summer I won a trip to the 2006 WSOP prelims through Bodog. I did horrible, as I only knew limit holdem, but played an NL tourney. But I kept on playing on , and UIGEA hit in October, and everything started drying up ..... I was down to my last $100 or so on Stars , but I had FPPs, so I played FPP tourneys to the PCA.... and got through 3 steps of freerolls, the last freeroll was on my wifes birthday tho...... and the tourney took about 12 hrs...... but I won a seat! We were off to the Bahamas for PCA! And then, in the Bahamas, I played against pros , got scared witless.... made quads once .... doubled through Jonathan Little once .... scraped through to day three, and I cashed. Finishing 99th for an $11k cash...... Still meanwhile never have deposited anything of my own on any site.

In my words, Pokersource sent me to WSOP and PCA.... Couldn't ask for anything more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:50 am 

hey guys to play more online games for free just click

www.Playmahjongonline.org

Last edited by Pinto09 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm 

Hi Everyone -

We've had a really tough time determining the winner because each story is so unique and different, and members of our staff have been able to relate to them all at some point in our own poker careers.

The winner will be announced sometime tomorrow! GL ALL :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 am 

CONGRATULATIONS TO "MOBILEDUCK" WINNER OF OUR DEAL A DAY 4 STORY CONTEST!! :mrgreen:

***************************************************************************************************
It was about 7-8 years ago this happened and i was planning on a poker site called Victor Chandler, I started off with a small bank of less then $100 and it took me around 18 months to build my bank to $5000 give or take a cent, it was as this point i decided i was ready for the big time so i decided to go on a $25/$50 NL table. There was 4 others on the table all with allot of money so i decided to bring in the lot, the blinds and just gone past so i waited for them to come back around before starting play. Finally are much twitching i got dealt 3 and 4 of clubs, it got folded round and the small blind called so it was an easy check.

The flop come
5 of clubs
6 of clubs
7 of clubs

I jumped up out my seat in amaze as this was my first straight flush ever (oh and i broke one of the wheels on the chair) i could not believe my luck but i was a little annoyed there was only one other person in the hand.

To my dismay they raised £$100 i could not believe my luck so i re raised $100 thinking i am already going to smash my weekly target, Again they re raised me this time by $400 so for me this was a very easy decision i went all in could not push the button fast enough.

Then also within seconds the other player, WOW IM RICH woop woop i could not believe my luck and i surly could not believe my luck when i saw when the other player turned over 8 and 9 of yes you guessed it CLUBS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. i had lost the lot in my very first hand of big time playing i felt sick to the stomach i could not believe what had just happened every one in chat was in shock until a little angel appeared and put three simple little words BAD BEAT JACKPOT.

So i immediately went of the the promo page to see how much i had won and it stood at over 1/2 a million YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA get in thats the best 5K i have every lost so i immediately e-mailed with hand number ect..... and awaited my reply.

You have one new E-mail............ Unfortunately this had did not qualify under our terms and conditions of bad beat jackpot promotion there needed to be at lease 4 player on the table and at least 3 players must see the flop NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Gutted.

In fact i was that gutted that i did not play poker for over 7 years because of the pure pain not even friendly games with mates i would go and just get drunk and bitch about online being fixed and i don't think i will truly every got over it, the only reason i have started playing again is because i come across you guys and your offers made my try it out again. i would like to thank pokersoure for this but rest assured i cant set foot in a NL table from now on its Limit all the way for me

Username Mobileduck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 am 
PSO Bronze
PSO Bronze

Definitely a good story ^^