It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gotta vent about this one
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:15 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

i am steaming mad right now. this is complete malarky.

so i'm in a $15+1 MTT on Aztec. let's start off by saying i usually only play the $5 MTT's but thought I'd take a stab at the bigger one. so i'm playing and playing real well. I manage to get to 5th chip position with 26 players remaining. then comes this complete horseshit hand.

I'm UTG and call the blind with AQo. (it was either 200/400 or 300/600)

An MP player calls, and the BB checks. The flop comes out QT2 rainbow. BB checks, I check, MP player bets 600. BB folds and I raise to 2000. He calls. Turn comes a 3 of the 4th suit so no flush draws out. I check, he bets 1200 and I raise all-in. This actually put him all-in because I had him covered by 1,400 chips. He thinks for a long time and at this point I decide I want him to call. So he calls and turns over Q9. Guess what the river was? 9!!! One of 3 cards that would've helped him, a 7% chance.

Complete bullshit!!! I would have been the chip leader after than hand but instead was 2nd last. i'm glad i'm going away for the next 4 days so i won't be playing on tilt. it was such ****...that would have really helped my bankroll and perhaps continue to allow me to continue playing at the higher level, now i'm going to have to go back to the $5 ones. **** like this seems to always happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:07 pm 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

Some things that I would have done differently:
- Raise Pre-flop with A-Q. Later in the tournament, I like to make sure people have cards to play the hand, otherwise you risk letting people in the BB come in with crap and hit there cards.

- It was risky checking the flop. If MP didn't raise you wouldn't have the opportunity to check-raise and he gets a free card (He could have K J with an open ended straight). But since he did raise, I do like your nice size re-raise.

- I would be confused by your play too, check-raise on the flop and the turn. But with that much money invested at that point and holding top pair with only a possible straight draw, I think I'd call too.

- He was definately beat up to that point, but got a lucky card.

It definately sucks when you get beat on the river. I flopped an A high flush and slow played it, but at the end the guy caught running cards to make his full house. That put a big hurt in my bankroll, but at the same time I gave him the chance to out-draw me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:59 pm 
PSO Extreme
PSO Extreme

I agree with breaux on this one, I would have raised pre-flop and on the flop on this one. If you bluffed often enough, you'll get the action you deserve anyway.

Your move on the turn was very nice though, you got him to put all-in. You just can't win them all.

I usually play 5$ tourneys though, but I gave a 20$ a try the other day. I was one position from the money, with a slightly below average stack. No one is in the pot, I was one from the button and got 99. I move all-in, trying to get the blinds since most people don't defend them so close to the money. Both the small and the big blind called... They had K6o and 9Ts. Flop came xx6, and one more 6 on the river...

I would have been in a very good position if I had won that one. But that's why you need to play many tournaments. At any point, no matter how good you play, you can get sucked out. But at the same time, those suckers allow you to make money, so you can't really complain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:09 pm 
PSO Premium
PSO Premium

i'll give my reasoning for my moves.

i only called pre-flop because i didn't want to risk my large stack. i was in 5th chip position and no need to lose my money on non superior hands. i figured if i raised i wouldn't know what to do with a re-raise, but if i just called i could have folded to a raise.

once the flop came out i was happy here to play for a small pot. i didn't even care about trying to get more chips from the guy. if it went check all the way to the river i would have been happy.

but since i checked i he bet, i figured i had the best hand and that's why i raised him. i still figured to have the best hand on the turn as well but would have been just as content with a check-check.

in hindsight i think i should have either raised or folded pre-flop though...and folded to a re-raise had i chosen to raise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:27 am 
PSO Extreme
PSO Extreme

Quote:
i only called pre-flop because i didn't want to risk my large stack

I guess that's exactly what you shouldn't think about.

I read somewhere (can't remember where though, sorry):

There are two types of players, the farmers and the foxes. The farmer wants to finish in the money, the fox wants to win the tournament. The fox will never play scared, he will play his game. The farmer will constantly check how many people there are left to see if he can fold his way to the money...

You will get outdrawn no matter how you play, so you might as well stop thinking about it and start playing your game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:16 pm 
PSO Platinum
PSO Platinum

Dekar wrote:
There are two types of players, the farmers and the foxes. The farmer wants to finish in the money, the fox wants to win the tournament. The fox will never play scared, he will play his game. The farmer will constantly check how many people there are left to see if he can fold his way to the money...

I guess I'm the third type, I'm the tax man. Even though you make a little money here and there, I'm the guy who always wins out in the end. Once a farmer takes out a fox, I'm the guy who reposes everything the farmer owns. :)